August 28, 2010

August 28, 2010
Gay Men's Health Summit Day 4

Welcome to another day in my life. Today is Saturday and I hope you are having a safe and great weekend so far. As you know from reading my blogs, we are in the middle of the Southeast Regional Gay Men's Health Summit so Dab the AIDS Bear and I have been very busy.

We had to be up at 5:30am again this morning so I could take the dogs for a walk and take care of everything else around the house before leaving for the Sheraton. I would have really loved to been able to roll over and sleep for a couple of more hours but duty called.

After a wonderful breakfast at the hotel, we got our table set up and was ready for the crowd. It was another busy day of break out sessions and focus groups. Outside it was storming off and on which ended up canceling the pool party at the end of the day. But honestly, I was so tired by then I was ready to get home and rest up for Sunday.

I did meet a few more new people today. I was also interviewed by a young woman from National Public Radio and the Miami Herald. She asked some wonderful insightful questions and even though I was tired I think the interview went very well. We were talking about the summit, gay men health issue (of course including HIV), the Florida ADAP waiting lists and other topics. I told her she could call any time on HIV/AIDS issues and I would be glad to help out.

I also got to meet a dynamic young African American activist from Atlanta, Georgia who works with children. We talked about the project's Teddy Bear Touchdowns for children with HIV and AIDS and he is interested in starting the event for the children with HIV and AIDS in his area. So I will have to catch up with him next week after the summit and before Dab the AIDS Bear and I leave on our next adventure.

After the video multi-media presentation made in Germany and Europe, I decided to pack up like the other vendors and head home. With the weather being nasty, I just could not see staying to see if they were even going to try and have the pool party. After all I am not a young man any more and need to get as much rest as I can each day since it starts so early in the morning. I also wanted to get home to check on my four legged children and take them for a walk.

So now I am going to work on the photographs I took of people with Dab the AIDS Bear, grab some dinner and then get to bed early since I have to be up very early again tomorrow.

Hope you are having a great weekend like we are. Until we meet again; here's wishing you health, hope, happiness and just enough.

big bear hug,

Daddy Dab