Action Alert: Senate Proposes $345 Million for HOPWA
Welcome to another day in my life. Today is Friday and I hope you are having a safe and great week so far. Dab the AIDS Bear and I are on the run as usual doing a ton of events today and this weekend.
Instead of doing my usual blog, today is an ACTION ALERT!
Senate Proposes $345 Million for HOPWA!
Urge your Senators to support $345 million for HOPWA in FY 2011
The Senate Appropriations Committee has just released its draft proposal for FY 2011 funding, and it includes $345 million for the Housing Opportunities for Persons With AIDS (HOPWA) program.
This is an $10 million increase over FY2010. According to the T-HUD Subcommittee's press release, "Overall, these resources assist more than61,000 households, reducing the risk of homelessness for those living with HIV." To view the Subcommittee's press release, go to:
The Senate is expected to vote on the package this week, possibly as soon as tomorrow, so timing is URGENT. The current stopgap measure funding the government expires on Saturday.
ACTION ALERT: Call your Senators' DC offices TODAY (202-224-3121).
* Ask to speak to the person who handles housing issues.
* Tell them that we need at least $345 million for HOPWA in FY 2011
The proposal also includes:
* 19.3 billion for Section-8 tenant-based rental assistance
* $85 million for the proposed 10,000 HUD/HHS collaborative voucher demonstration
* $125.7 million for Runaway and Homeless Youth Act (RHYA) programs
* $75 million for 10,000 new HUD-VASH vouchers
* $15 million for new FUP vouchers
* $2.2 billion for McKinney-Vento programs
* $799.2 million for direct programs within VA to assist homeless veterans
* $159.4 million for homeless services programs within SAMHSA (including both PATH and SAMHSA Homeless Services)
The full text of the proposed legislation is available here
Thanks for all that you do. People with HIV and AIDS are counting on your calls.
Until we meet again; here's wishing you health, hope, happiness and just enough.
big bear hug,