Diarrhea can cause dehydration, a dangerous side effect if untreated. Dehydration robs your body of its moisture, which over time can hurt your body. Diarrhea that isn't treated can also lead to weight loss. You should talk to your doctor if you have diarrhea that lasts longer than 5 days in a row.
What You Can Do About Diarrhea:
* Drink lots of fluid including broth, water, sport drinks, ginger ale and stomach soothing herbal teas.
* Eat foods with nutrients and calories (BRAT diet - Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast)
* Talk to your doctor about anti-diarrhea medications.
* Add more fiber to your diet. Try fiber drinks or foods like oatmeal.
* Avoid spicy, fatty, starchy or processed foods as well as caffeine, alcohol, dairy products or foods that give you gas such as beans, broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower.