June 22, 2012

June 22, 2012
NIH Sign On Letter


Welcome to another day in my life. Today is Friday and we have almost made it through another work week. I hope you are having a safe and great week so far. It is another busy week for Dab the AIDS Bear and me. Today we are speaking at an event in South Florida.

But first, I would like to talk about an important letter for everyone to sign to President Obama about AIDS funding. You go to: http://aidspolicyproject.nationbuilder.com/petition_for_the_nih?recruiter_id=1786 to add your name to Dab the AIDS Bear in support of HIV/AIDS funding.

Here is what the letter is about:

Please sign this petition asking President Obama to support more funding for AIDS cure research at the National Institutes of Health.

Dear President Obama:

We are writing to ask you to spend more money on AIDS cure research at the National Institutes of Health.

Already, one person, the Berlin Patient, was cured in 2007 -- and we are getting much closer to a scalable cure for everyone. Yet the National Institutes of Health spends only about 3% of its AIDS research budget on the search for a cure for AIDS* -- the remaining 97% goes toward treatments, vaccines, and other vitally needed research. But we need a cure.

A cure is needed for Americans with HIV and for millions of people around the world. In the developing world, less than half of the sickest people with AIDS can obtain treatment according to the World Health Organization. They need AIDS treatment to stay alive, but it is nearly impossible for them to obtain treatment now, let alone every day for the rest of their lives. We need a sustainable way to end the AIDS crisis.

On the eve of the International AIDS Conference in Washington, DC, we call on you to increase AIDS cure funding at the NIH from USD $60 million* to $240 million per year in new money. The US spends nine times more on AIDS vaccines than cure research, and over $24 billion** on all AIDS programs. That money is well spent; it is keeping millions of people alive around the world--but with a cure we could redeploy some of that funding to healthcare, education, and other critical human needs.

Time for a cure!

****

Thanks for signing and helping make a difference for people living with HIV and AIDS.

Hope you have a safe and great Friday!

Until we meet again; here's wishing you health, hope, happiness and just enough.



big bear hug,





Daddy Dab