Tell partners about the risk.
If someone has HIV, any sex or needle sharing partners should be informed. Ask a health care provider for details about parnter notification.
Should we tell anyone else?
It's up to the person with HIV. Respect your partner's choice. Talk about:
* the reasons for telling a person - to seek comfort or support for example
* how a person might react and whether he or she will keep the news private.
Educate people about HIV.
It may help to explain that HIV is NOT spread casually. You can't get it by:
* sitting next to someone
* shaking hands or giving a hug
* eating in a restaurant
* using restrooms, water coolers or telephones
* swimming in a pool or using a hot tub
* being bitten by mosquitoes or other insects
* donating blood