November 15, 2010

November 15, 2010
University of West Florida

Welcome to another day in my life. Today is Monday and I hope your week is off to a safe and great start. Dab the AIDS Bear and I are in our hometown of Pensacola, Florida for the next week.

We flew yesterday from south Florida on Delta Airlines. Had a short layover in Atlanta and got in around 1pm from the second flight. I had forgotten how big the Atlanta airport is until I had to take the subway to swith flights. After finally getting our luggage and the rental car from Alamo, we headed to Dad's house. My Dad lives in the same house where I grew up in the historical part of town which is next to the downtown area.

It is great to spend some time with Dad. Because of my work and travel schedule, I do not make it home nearly as often as I would like. In fact, it has been three years since the last time I was here. Dad is getting close to eighty years old and the past few years have been very hard on him health wise. We have had some great talks since getting here and enjoy spending our time together.

This afternoon, my new computer stoped working so I ended up having to go to the Best Buy here in Pensacola and return the Sony computer I bought last week. After speaking with the knowledgable salesperson in their computer department, I ended up going with an ASUS computer. It had the same specs as the Sony for the most part but has a much better graphics card, an extra USB port and a larger screen.

Then after having lunch and spending some time with Dad, I had to drive to University of West Florida where I spoke this evening. The college is much larger than I remember and I ended up having to ask a student how to find the building where I was speaking. Seems like just yesterday I was in college myself and now I am old enough to be most of the current student's dad. LOL.

There was a good size crowd and everyone was very interested in learning about Dab the AIDS Bear and my life with HIV and AIDS. I spoke and then there was a question and answer period which lasted aboutan hour. Most of the people were either active in the local HIV/AIDS community or getting their degree in social services or health care. I also got to meet several people I have met on Facebook and our local Ambasssador of Hope Darrin Land showed up. Everyone had great questions and wanted to take some pictures with Dab the AIDS Bear and me afterwards. I think some of them will even show up for the AIDS Walk on Saturday.

Just got back to Dad's house and worn out from a long day and driving in the storming rain this evening. I have another busy day tomorrow so I will be going to bed shortly after calling George to see how he and the four legged children are doing.

Hope you are having a great week. Remember to keep your feet on the ground while reaching for the stars! Until we meet again; here's wishing you health, hope, happiness and just enough.

big bear hug,

Daddy Dab