9 Signs You Should Fire Your Doctor
Welcome to another day in my life. Today is Friday and we have almost made it thru another work week. I hope you have been having a beary safe and great week so far. It is another busy day for Dab the AIDS Bear and me.
This week, I blogged about how to find the right doctor. So today and tomorrow I am going to blog about nine signs you should fire your doctor. (The pic today was used at random and has nothing to do with the qualifications or expertise of the doctor pictured with Dab the AIDS Bear.)
A doctor you're unhappy with could be bad for your health. Here's how to know when to look elsewhere.
Staying with a doctor you're not happy with is as harmful as staying in a relationship you know is bad because it's easier than making a change. But parting ways may be the healthiest move. Here are 9 signs that it's time to fire your doctor. (For simplicity, the references below are to male doctors, but men don't have a monopoly on unacceptable behavior.)
1. You don't mesh. You and your doctor don't need to see eye to eye on everything, but it's helpful if you work well together. If you want a partnership, for example, a doctor who spouts commands is not the best fit. If you value warmth, you may not be able to build an effective relationship with a physician who seems formal or distant. Some patients like doctors who are very direct and blunt. And some patients can't stand that type of doctor because they think he or she isn't empathetic enough or doesn't provide enough options. When there's a mismatch, neither person is at fault but it could be grounds for termination.
2. He doesn't respect your time. Do you routinely wait an hour to see your physician only to feel like he's speed-doctoring through the visit? You should never feel like you're being rushed. If your doctor doesn't take the time to answer your questions or address your concerns, there's a problem. The medical community is becoming increasingly sensitive to patients' precious time. When they're late for an appointment, some habitually tardy doctors have even begun compensating patients with money or gifts. If your doctor's chronic lateness makes you grind your teeth, why stay with him? Hint: If you're evaluating a prospective physician, investigate his timeliness beforehand. This map showcases doctors who are conscious of the clock and live up to the standards of the Ideal Medical Practices Organization, a nonprofit that encourages doctors to be on time.
3. He keeps you in the dark. A doctor should be open and thorough about why he recommends a certain treatment or orders a specific test, and he should share all results with you. If a doctor doesn't explain himself, or at least not to your satisfaction, at that point a doctor is bad. I know doctors who have drawn blood or run a bunch of tests without telling patients why they're doing them and what they mean. It's also important that a doctor uses terms you understand, rather than complicated medical jargon; otherwise, explanations are meaningless. Your health is too important to feel confused or uninformed.
4. He doesn't listen. Does your doctor hear you out without interrupting? It all comes down to communication and whether you feel like you're asking questions and they're not being answered. She recalls visiting a doctor for a second opinion on whether she should go through with a procedure recommended by her dentist. He made a big leap that I didn't want to have iT done because I was afraid of the pain And kept reassuring me that it was virtually pain free. That's not what I was asking. After three rounds, I concluded that we weren't going to get to a productive place, and I didn't go back.
5. The office staff is unprofessional. The receptionists are the link between you and the doctor. If they blow you off or neglect to give your message to the physician, say about side effects of a new medication your health could be at risk. Even if you like your doctor, a bad office staff could signal it's time to look elsewhere.
Tomorrow I will finish blogging on this subject. Hope you have a beary safe and great Friday!
Until we meet again; here's wishing you health, hope, happiness and just enough.
big bear hug,