Cost of Living Increase for Social Security
It is great having you stop by to check out another blog entry. I hope you had a safe and great weekend. I had a pretty good one myself.
Please consider writing a letter to the editor of your local paper based on the recent announcement that the Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) for Social Security was 5.8%, which is high. (You can find helpful hints in my last two blog entries before this one.)
Write about why Social Security is important to you and if youíd like, please consider incorporating some of the message points below, using your own words.
Please let me know if it runs in the paper!
* Iím glad that the COLA is higher than usual. We need the money, with the cost of gas, food, utilities, and prescription drugs going up.
* With the stock market, the housing market and the economy in general in a downturn, Social Security is even more important for retirees, because itís the only piece of our retirement that adjusts to the cost of living.
* Even so, the COLA may not be enough to cover rising costs.
* Social Security needs to be kept strong; so far, the candidates for President and Congress havenít said much about what they would do to strengthen Social Security.
* With so little time before the election, we need to hear what they will do to make Social Security work for future generations.
This is another opportunity to use your voice to make America a better place for all of us. As everyone who is not in a comma knows we have a presidential election coming up. So let the candidates know your viewpoint.
I am home sick with a 101 degree fever so I missed a couple of events I had scheduled today. I think some dental work I recently had done has gotten infected so I will be calling the doctor in the morning to see what he can give me for the infection.
I hope you had a great start to your week. Remember to keep your feet on the ground while reaching for the stars.
Wishing you health, hope and happiness.
Big bear hug,