September 22, 2008

September 22, 2008
Welcome to the start of another week in my world. How was your weekend? I hope your weekend was as great as mine.

It is going to be another busy week for me. I had to be up early this morning because Lindsey and I were working for AARP/DWF at the senior Olympics here in Jacksonville. I had to be up at 8am in order to start my day. The good part is I got to see Gary before he left for work. Most of the time I am asleep when he leaves to catch the bus. I have to be honest and say I was not looking forward to today's event. I was having back sinus problems and was very tired when I woke up. But I ended up being very glad I made the event. I had never been to Cecil Field before and they have an excellent Equestrian Center where the event was held.

It was the opening ceremonies for the Senior Games. Nikki Preede, from Channel 4 news, was the emcee and looked even more beautiful in person than on television. Mayor Peyton was also in attendance. The main entertainment by Southern Pride who are an equestrian show group. AARP/Divided We Fail were one of the sponsors along with Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Humana, United Healthcare and a few others. I am not sure who provided the catering but everyone was munching down at the conclusion of the event. I also had the fortune of speaking with Marilyn Payton whom I had met previously at a fundraiser. She was personable, graceful and enjoyable as always. I also met a couple of other women who were interested in our Teddy Bear Touchdown so it will be interesting to see what comes of my new contacts. I was lucky and got to meet Nikki Preede as she was leaving the event and told her about the project and our Teddy Bear Touchdown. I gave her one of my business cards and look forward to hearing from her. Hopefully they all will be interested in helping our wonderful children have a happier holiday season. Luckily, Lindsey and I were able to pack up and get loaded from before it started to rain. She had just dropped me off at home when the skies started to break. I pitied Lindsey having to drive all the way to the beach and I was glad it was not me. So all in all, it was a great if tiring day.

After returning home, I had to run Harley, Sugar and Chipper outside before the drizzle turned into a downpour. Sugar and Harley refuse to go outside in the rain and puddles. With the light shower, they were in a hurry to take care of their business so we could get back inside. One clap of thunder or lightning bolt is all it takes to freak out poor Harley. She has been that way since I adopted her from animal control. Chipper is old, blind and deaf so I do not think he even notices the thunderstorms. Then it was time to close my eyes and rest for about thirty minutes before Gary would be home from work. I had text him early in the day to thank him for our great weekend and see how his day was going. His reply was it was Monday so I know he was ready for 6pm.

When he got home, we sat and talked for awhile about the day we each had. I had already planned what we were going to have for dinner so at least that was one less decision for Gary to make on a Monday evening. I decided on making beef stew over egg noodles with a salad and a buttered baguette. It turned out just as I hoped which is great considering I am not the best cook in the world. I can grill up a storm, but in the kitchen I am not the greatest. Tonight we watched the series premier of this season's Dancing With the Stars. Now I am not sure what it was but the show did not have the same grab it has had in previous years. I did enjoy Toni Braxton and a couple of other stars. But what was Susan Lucci on last night. It sounded like she had been in Paula Abdul's purse. LOL.

That wraps another day in my life. I hope you had a great one also.

Wishing you health, hope and happiness.

Big bear hug,

Daddy Dab