September 3, 2008

September 3, 2008
Thanks for joining me in another day in my world. It has been a busy week so far and today will not be any different.

Now the term busy is relative. What is busy for a healthy person is one thing. But when you have full blown AIDS, the term busy can mean as little as one errand on the list for the day depending on your Tcell count. So since I have been going through recent health problems on top of having full blown AIDS, a day with more than one event for a couple of hours is very taxing to my body.

I rolled out of bed around 9:30am since I knew I had a lot to accomplish today. Besides having to make several telephone calls, I also needed to get everything ready for the health fair at Edward Waters College tomorrow. I am doing a table for HIV/AIDS awareness, education and prevention while also including information for Divided We Fail. All of our other DWF members are in Washington DC for a big event so I will be doing the health fair by myself which will be challenging. So after having my morning protein shake and taking the dogs outside, I went downstairs to start sorting and packing the items to take to the health fair. It is hot downstairs since we usually keep the air conditioners off to save on energy costs so I tried to get through as quickly as possible before the heat of the day. Luckily, it only took me about an hour to get the stuff together. If we did not already have several bags of teddy bears for this year's Teddy Bear Touchdown, it would have taken me less time. But hey, I am not about to complain about the early donations.

Then it was time to get back upstairs into the air conditioned part of the house. I spent the next couple of hours updating the website, answering emails and making telephone calls. I am playing tag with Nathaniel and Heather so I had to wait for a call back from them. I knew I would be seeing Heather at our support group this evening if I did not have a chance to speak to her beforehand. But I had to speak with Nathaniel to see if he was going to the health fair at Edward Waters or if he was able to make the necessary copies we needed for the handouts. I also needed to fill him in on the Teddy Bear Touchdown plans to date. Unfortunately Nathaniel was in a staff meeting until mid afternoon before he could call me back. He was unable to talk so we are going to get together on a call first thing in the morning. Then Heather was driving up to pick me up for group. After going to get Gary, we headed to Lutheran Social Services for our meeting.

We had a great if small group tonight of eight guys. It was the first group meeting I had been able to attend in about two months so it was great seeing everyone. Heather had arranged a great big sub, potato chips and soda for everyone. I was glad we had food tonight so I would not need to cook when I got home. Then it was time for everyone to share what has been going on in their lives the past couple of weeks. We also talked as a group about allowing people under 30 into our group. After much discussion, we decided that a couple of our members will mentor a new group for young positive men if we can not find one already operating in the city. I know there use to be a group in town but have not heard anything about them in a few years. We also talked about the possibility of going to the Comedy Club in a couple of weeks which I am looking forward to going. We did this as a group once before a couple of years ago and really enjoyed the evening. Heather and I also had to discuss some community news so I could get caught up with what is going on with what group.

As Heather gave us a ride home, I noticed major changes to the I-10/I-95 interchange which connects the two sides of Jacksonville across the St. Johns River. I would not be amazed if the lane switch has caused many wrecks since everything is now reversed from the directions from before the changes. I would have totally missed our exit and headed toward the airport. Now I understand what I have heard other people complaining about with the changes. Luckily, I rarely have to travel much in the city where I have to do the driving. Heather's husband was ringing her cell as she dropped us off since we were running late. He just wanted to make sure she was okay and headed home. Then it was time to run the dogs outside since I had been gone almost three hours. We have been having a slight break from the very hot temps in the high 90s here lately. It has been very nice having highs in the high 80s for the past few days especially since it is September.

Well hopefully we have dodged the bullet with Tropical Storm Hannah. Tropical storm Hanna is expected to become a hurricane again, make landfall in the Carolinas, and then curve up the East Coast, bringing rain and wind to the northeast coast this weekend. But there is now Hurricane Ike to also watch. Packing maximum sustained winds of 80 mph, forecasters at the National Hurricane Center said it has become the fifth hurricane of the season as it continues to head west across the Atlantic. The center of Hurricane Ike was about 670 miles east-northeast of the Leeward Islands; latitude 21.6 north, longitude 52.7 west. The storm continues to head west-northwest at near 18 mph. This general motion is expected to continue tonight and early Thursday followed by a turn to the west on Thursday night and Friday. Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 35 miles, and tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 160 miles. So stay tuned for further developments.

So that wraps up another day in my life. I hope you made it a great day also. Headed to bed soon since I have to be up around 6am to get ready for the health fair at Edward Waters College.

Wishing you health, hope and happiness.

Big bear hug,

Daddy Dab